Wednesday, August 20, 2014

My Learnings and Farewells

I can't believe my journey in early childhood studies has come to an end!  While this journey has been extremely challenging, it has also been rewarding and has greatly contributed to my learning and professional growth!  I very much appreciate the many insights and added perspectives of my Walden colleagues and professors.  Engaging in such a diverse, professional early childhood community has deeply broadened my learning far beyond what I expected.  I have loved learning from your knowledge, experiences and different cultures, and beliefs!  Reading your posts and feedback has often caused me to step outside my own thinking and truly reflect on the various viewpoints that were presented to me.  I wish you all the best of luck in your future work in the early childhood field.  I hope our paths will cross someday!  

3 deeply felt learnings I experienced during this course:
* The importance of building an extensive community of practice to give support, share passion, and increase understanding and resources.

*I still have so much more to learn!  The field of early childhood is extremely extensive and diverse, with many areas in which I can make a difference!  I found it difficult to narrow down my capstone topic, because I was drawn to many challenges to address.  I want to keep learning and growing, so I will continue to research, read, and seek professional development opportunities where I can engage with others in a community of practice!

*Oh the places I could go!  It was fun to research the many job opportunities that are available locally, in my state, nationally, and globally.  It was also very interesting to imagine what my future in the field of early childhood could become if I continue in developing my passion, learning, commitment, skills, and advocacy.


My goal for the future:
I have a dear friend who always says, “Keep on, keeping on!” I would apply this to my own professional career.  I know that my journey has not ended at my completion of my Master’s degree.  I still have much to learn, and more experience to gain.  I want to continue to “keep on” developing my leadership skills and knowledge of the early childhood field.  I want to “keep on” being a mentor leader and positively influence professional development and high-quality program development.  As such, I will “keep on” being a positive example for others, and remain flexible and open to learning and growing from those around me. 

I wanted to leave you all with this beautiful poem authored by David Whyte.  I believe it sums up the importance of working and learning together as we as we continue to build early childhood relationships, communities of practice, and advocate for children and families!
We shape our self
to fit this world
and by the world
are shaped again.

The visible and the invisible
working together
in common cause,
to produce
the miraculous.

I am thinking of the way
the intangible air
passed at speed
round a shaped wing
easily
holds our weight.

So may we, in this life
trust
to those elements
we have yet to see
or imagine,
and look for the true
shape of our own self,
by forming it well
to the great
intangibles about us.

7 comments:

  1. Congrats on this endeavor! I have enjoyed reading your discussions and blogs. I wish you well as you continue. Good luck in all you do.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Collett, I have enjoyed your discussions and blogs in this course . You have some very interesting quotes on David. I hope you enjoyed the class with the class farewell of your journey.
    Chiquela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Collett,
    I always look forward to reading your discussion posts and blogs. You have so much knowledge to share with others and are able to articulate that knowledge so well. I hope to be able to do that one day. I also loved the poem by David Whyte. I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors, I know you will do great things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Collett,

    I agree with you, despite the challenges of the learning experience at Walden, it has been extremely rewarding and positive. Overall, I appreciate having learned from your experiences, comments and feeback in previous courses. I wish you all the best and a successful future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Collett,
    I enjoy reading your post and thank you for sharing. it was a pleasure having you in class. I wish you all the best in your career.
    Sophia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Collette,
    Excellent post. It is always a pleasure reading my colleagues’ work. We all can boast about the early childhood program which gave us an eye opener in dealing with young children. It has also contributed to our professional growth, because of the skills, practices, and knowledge we have gained, to determined how much young children are learning, and how prepared they are for school.
    We have acquired deeper understandings of child development and early education issues, so that we can provide richer educational experiences for all children, regardless of their backgrounds, or socioeconomic status.
    Joanne.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Collette thank you for sharing with us your thoughts and experiences over this course, I have gained much knowledge from you. Thank your for that quote " Keep on , Keeping on, I love it and will remember it as I continue to press on in the future. I do agree with you it was hard to narrow down a challenge because overtime I have become so passionate about different aspects of the field over this educational experience. I wish you much success in the future!

    ReplyDelete